Sycamores unable to hold back the Braves’ fourth set; Fall 3-1
HIGH EARTH, Ind. – Indiana State volleyball fell for the second time in as many days as Bradley claimed a 3-1 (21-25, 25-21, 20-25, 23-25) victory inside the ‘ISU Arena Saturday night. The loss marked the Sycamore’s fourth in a row as the team fell to 9-6 overall and 1-4 in the Missouri Valley Conference game.
Both teams hit over .200 on the night with Bradley (8-9, 4-2 MVC) edging ISU in the category, .233 to .212, but Indiana State maintained the advantage by killing 57-55. Karinna Gall led all players with a game-high 14 kills – two of his career high while picking up a double-double with 11 digs. Kaitlyn hamilton was on fire with an attack percentage of .458 from 13 kills while Madeline Williams completed the Sycamore trees killing in double digits with 11 of 26 attempts.
Melina tedrow led the ISU defensively with 21 kills and six assists while the duo of Chloe mason (22) and Emma Kaelin (19) set up 42 eliminations for Sycamores. Williams recorded three of the teams’ 14 blocks as Mallory keller scored two solo blocks at net.
The duo of Hannah Thompson (12) and Kora Kauling (10) led the Braves on the offensive side by exceeding the 10 kills mark and more while recording double-doubles. Raeann Bergman and Silan Demirkol had eight wins apiece in the Braves’ balanced offense. Kauling notched a double-double with 29 assists to go along with his 10-kill performance while Thompson also added 19 defensive digs for BU.
Set One – Bradley 25, Indiana State 21
- The Braves came out on fire with an attack percentage of .342 while keeping the Sycamores at .244
- The set included six ties and a single lead change
- Gall led the Sycamores with four kills on an attack percentage of 0.400
- Four Braves recorded three or more assists led by Thompson with four
- Bradley led by just two points to climb 19-16 on a Doga Topcicek ace
- After an ISU time-out, Bradley went on a 6-4 streak to close the set
Set Two – Indiana State 25, Bradley 21
- Indiana State responded not only on offense with a 0.231 hit percentage, but also on the defensive end, keeping Bradley just 0.053 on offense.
- ISU led from start to finish and was led by Hamilton’s four kills while Keller and Williams added three each.
- Storm Suhre recorded his two blocks in the set as three Sycamores picked up blocks
Set Three – Bradley 25, Indiana State 20
- Bradley beat Sycamores 0.324-0.184 as Thompson landed a record five kills
- The Braves haven’t allowed the Sycamores to take the lead once and have led up to eight points midway through.
Set Four – Bradley 25, Indiana State 23
- BU beats ISU from .212 to .184 while picking up two aces in the set
- Indiana State took an early 11-4 lead before Bradley fell back to three to 12-9, forcing a timeout
- The Braves forced a second and final ISU timeout after four straight points and back-to-back wins from Karagan Coggin
- Neither team has led by more than two points in the last 29 rallies
- After Keller tied the match at 23 with a kill, Bradley landed a sideout kill before ending the match with a service ace
The Sycamores will be back in action Monday night as the team wraps up a three-game home game with Southern Illinois at 6 p.m. at ISU Arena.
For the latest information on the Sycamore volleyball team, be sure to check out GoSycamores.com. You can also find the team on social networks, in particular Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Fans can also receive updates on Sycamore Athletics by downloading the March On app both on App Store and the Google play store.
– #MarsOn –